High-quality child care and early education can build a strong foundation for young children's healthy development and ensure that children have all they need to thrive. This knowledge drives CLASP's work to promote policies that support both child development and the needs of low-income working parents. We support policies that expand resources for child care and early education initiatives at the federal, state, and local levels. We also study the relationships between child care subsidy systems, Head Start and Early Head Start, state pre-kindergarten programs, and other birth to five early education efforts, to advance ideas that ensure these systems address the full range of needs of children and families.
Find out where and when
our experts are speaking.
Aug 4, 2015 | PERMALINK »
CLASP CCDBG Reauthorization and Implementation Resources
The bipartisan passage of the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014 strengthens the law’s dual role as both a major early childhood education program and a work support for low-income families. For states to achieve the full potential of the CCDBG reauthorization—while avoiding tradeoffs that harm children, families, and the child care providers who serve them—thoughtful implementation and new resources will be essential.
In an effort to better inform the implementation of CCDBG in states, the CLASP Child Care and Early Education team and the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) have jointly produced a number of valuable resources for state child care advocates. Please be sure to check www.clasp.org/CCDBG as we continue to add resources for advocates, state administrators, and others engaged in CCDBG implementation. Listed below are links to our most recent resources in addition to the reauthorization guide for states.
- Implementing the Child Care and Development Block Grant Reauthorization: A Guide for States. This guide, written jointly by CLASP and NWLC, is designed to help policymakers and advocates gain a better understanding of what is entailed in fully implementing the law. It summarizes and analyzes key sections of the law, offering recommendations and cautions for states. It also includes a detailed chart comparing specific provisions of the new law with those of the previous law, an implementation timeline, a checklist indicating state compliance with select provisions of the law, a summary of the law, and state-by-state information on CCDBG funding and children served.
- Implementing the Child Care and Development Block Grant Reauthorization: State-by-State Fact Sheets. This series of fact sheets from CLASP and NWLC summarize state-specific information related to CCDBG’s requirements in each state as outlined in the implementation guide.
- Child Care Assistance: A Vital Support for Working Families. This fact sheet, designed for advocates, provides an overview of the research showing why child care assistance is so important to low-income, vulnerable families.
- Webinar: How the New CCDBG Law Would Impact Low-Wage Workers. This July 28 webinar, co-hosted by NWLC and CLASP, covered critical information about the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) reauthorization law currently being implemented by states, looking closely at provisions of the new CCDBG law that most impact low-wage workers.
CLASP and NWLC will continue to work closely with those involved in implementing the law in states and at the federal level to realize the potential benefits of the reauthorization through teleconferences, webinars, and individualized state technical assistance on CCDBG reauthorization. If you would like to learn more about what types of resources are available, please contact Christine Johnson-Staub.
CCDBG ReauthorizationCLASP resources on the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014 reauthorization and implementation. READ MORE »
- Jun 22, 2015 Child Care Assistance: A Vital Support for Working Families
- Olivia Golden and Christine Johnson-Staub | Jun 01, 2015 CLASP Head Start Reauthorization Comments in Response to Chairman Kline
- HANNAH MATTHEWS (CLASP), KAREN SCHULMAN (NWLC), JULIE VOGTMAN (NWLC), CHRISTINE JOHNSON-STAUB (CLASP), AND HELEN BLANK (NWLC) | Apr 01, 2015 Implementing the Child Care and Development Block Grant Reauthorization: A Guide for States
- Christine Johnson-Staub | Oct 23, 2014 First Steps for Early Success: State Strategies to Support Developmental Screening in Early Childhood Settings
- STEPHANIE SCHMIT (CLASP), CHRISTINA WALKER (CLASP), AND RACHEL HERZFELDT-KAMPRATH (CAP) | Feb 11, 2015 An Investment in Our Future: How Federal Home Visiting Funding Provides Critical Support for Parents and Children
- Christine Johnson-Staub (CLASP), Helen Blank (NWLC), and Karen Schulman (NWLC) | Jul 28, 2015 How the New CCDBG Law Could Impact Low Wage Workers
- CHRISTINE JOHNSON-STAUB (CLASP), HELEN BLANK (NWLC), AND KAREN SCHULMAN (NWLC) | Jul 28, 2015 Webinar: How the New CCDBG Law Could Impact Low Wage Workers
- Child Care and Early Education | Jul 16, 2015 Early Childhood Education Update - July 2015
- Christine Johnson-Staub (CLASP), Christina Walker (CLASP), Helen Blank (NWLC), and Karen Schulman (NWLC) | Jul 15, 2015 Child Care and Development Fund Plan for States/Territories for FFY 2016-2018 (ACF-118)
- Christine Johnson-Staub, Stephanie Schmit, and Christina Walker | Jun 30, 2015 CLASP ACF-800 and ACF-801 Comments to ACF Reports Clearance Officer