Helping low-income adults obtain higher-quality jobs can lead to better job retention and wage growth. These individuals and others who experience difficulty in the labor market need access to employment services that enable them to enter the workforce and become reemployed if they lose their jobs.
Jobless Workers and Their Families Face a Bleak Holiday Season with Federal Unemployment Benefits Set to Expire
By Neil Ridley
This time of year, as families prepare for Thanksgiving and the holidays, many jobless workers and their families face a difficult and uncertain holiday season. Unless Congress acts soon, 1.3 million workers will lose federal unemployment benefits when the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program expires during the week of December 28. Another 850,000 workers will exhaust state unemployment benefits in early 2014 and lose access to federal unemployment assistance.
Workers will lose benefits at a time when the recovery is still slow and hiring is subdued. The unemployment rate—now at 7.3 percent—is two full percentage points higher than when the recession started in 2007. Moreover, long-term unemployment remains at record levels compared to previous economic recoveries. In October 2013, 36 percent of jobless workers—4 million people—had been out of work for six months or more, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. If the nation continues to add jobs at the modest rate shown in the October jobs report, it will take five years to return to pre-recession employment levels.
- Elizabeth Lower-Basch | May 29, 2013 New Research Shows Value of Subsidized Employment Programs to Employers, Employees
- CLASP and National Transitional Jobs Network | May 21, 2013 Webinar: New Research on Subsidized Employment
- CLASP and National Transitional Jobs Network | Apr 05, 2013 Recorded Webinar: Where's the Money? Innovative City and State Funding Approaches to Supporting Transitional Jobs & Subsidized Employment Programs
- Neil Ridley | Apr 12, 2013 President’s Budget Calls for Pathways Back to Work Fund
- Chris Warland and Melissa Young, National Transitional Jobs Network and Elizabeth Lower-Basch, CLASP | Mar 19, 2013 Innovative City and State Funding Approaches to Supporting Subsidized Employment and Transitional Jobs
- Olivia Golden | Nov 08, 2013 Recommendations to the Congressional Budget Conference Committee
- Sep 03, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - August 2013
- Jun 03, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - May 2013
- Apr 30, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - April 2013
- Mar 29, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - March 2013