Shifting Gears Winter 2012 Newsletter
Feb 27, 2012 | Marcie Foster
DOWNLOAD ALTERNATIVE FORMATS: Download PDF
The Winter 2012 Special Edition of Transmissions is the last newsletter of the Shifting Gears initiative, which ended on December 31, 2011. Although this work is formally ending, we hope that other states and the federal government can benefit from the lessons learned from this groundbreaking work.
In this special edition, you will find:
- Updates on future plans of Shifting Gears states;
- Key Takeaways on Federal Actions to Support Cross-Agency Partnerships and Pathways that came out of our final Shifting Gears convening in January 2012;
- Updates from the White House and Congress on the President's budget proposal for FY2013, new grant opportunities and a request for information from the Department of Education;
- New research and reports from experts in adult education, postsecondary education, developmental education and workforce development; and
- A Thank You to Shifting Gears states and partners.
Shifting Gears is a multi-year, multi-million dollar state policy initiative to promote regional economic growth by improving the education and skills training of the workforce in six Midwestern states ― Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin. The initiative is helping these states implement systemic changes to institutionalize innovation in adult education, workforce development and postsecondary education programs. The states are strengthening the connections between the various programs to create pathways to college and career success for low-income working adults. CLASP is the primary technical assistance provider and manager for the initiative, which is supported by the Joyce Foundation.