August 20, 2009
Care about promoting economic opportunity in America? Want to learn about communications and the Washington policy world? Join CLASP's communications team as our spring 2013 intern!
The Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) is a national, nonpartisan and nonprofit organization that seeks to improve the lives of low-income people. Located in Washington, D.C., we develop and advocate for federal, state and local policies to strengthen families and create pathways to education and work.
The intern(s) will work with CLASP's communications staff on a variety of projects, including monitoring news on issues related to CLASP's work, building and maintaining media lists and relationships with journalists, and helping CLASP expand on social media. Depending on skill and interest, the intern also may have opportunities to write news releases, letters to the editor, blog posts, eBlasts and other communications materials.
The intern will also have the opportunity to attend various events around Washington, D.C. and gain a broad understanding of the anti-poverty policy community.
- Monitor news related to CLASP's work
- Maintain lists of relevant news and Hill contacts
- Help identify news opportunities for CLASP
- Build the organization's email list
- Help develop and grow CLASP's social media presence
- Gather and analyze web statistics to identify how users are accessing and using the CLASP website
- Write content for the website and other materials as assigned
- Interested in media and public policy
- Strong editing and writing skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Technologically adept
- Able to quickly learn new skills and programs
This internship is for spring 2013. Start and end dates are flexible. The intern should be able to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship. CLASP will work with students and their universities to provide college credit for the internship.
To apply, send resume and letter of interest to Attn: Spring 2013 Communications Internship at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.