Communications Intern (Spring 2014)
Do you care about Americans in need? Do you want to promote economic opportunity while learning more about communications and public policy? Join the team at CLASP!
The Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization working to improve the lives of low-income Americans. Located in Washington, D.C., we develop and advocate for federal, state, and local policies that strengthen families and create pathways to education and work.
The Communications Intern will work with CLASP's communications team on a variety of projects, including monitoring news on issues related to CLASP's work, building and maintaining media lists and relationships with journalists, and helping CLASP expand on social media. Depending on skill and interest, the intern may also have opportunities to write news releases, letters to the editor, blog posts, eBlasts, and other communications materials.
Additionally, the intern will be able to attend various events around Washington, D.C. and gain a broad understanding of the anti-poverty policy community.
- Monitor news related to CLASP's work;
- Maintain lists of relevant news and Hill contacts;
- Help identify news opportunities for CLASP;
- Build the organization's e-mail list;
- Help develop and grow CLASP's social media presence;
- Gather and analyze web statistics to identify how users are accessing and using the CLASP website; and
- Write content for the website and other materials as assigned.
- Must be eligible for college credit for internship;
- Interested in communications and public policy;
- Strong editing and writing skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Technologically adept;
- Familiarity with Adobe design suite a plus; and
- Able to quickly learn new skills and programs.
Start and end dates are flexible. The intern should be able to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship, and students must be eligible to receive college credit to be selected.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to CLASP Communications Manager Andy Beres at: email@example.com.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.