Growing inequality, lack of economic mobility and persistent poverty in this rich nation are driving the reemerging government interest in strategies to reduce poverty. CLASP offers technical assistance to governments, advocates, and service providers and promotes policies that provide opportunity for all. We also manage Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity: The Source for News, Ideas and Action, a foundation-led initiative intended to ensure poverty reduction is part of the public discourse.
The Most Important Problem Facing Children in the US Today
In the early 1950's, polio crippled tens of thousands of people in the United States each year, shut down public facilities, and struck fear among parents everywhere. But thanks to a massive public health effort that reached into every community, by 1979 polio had been eliminated from the U.S.
What if we tackled child poverty with the same determination and commitment that we put into eliminating polio? At a time when one in five children lives in poverty, income inequality is growing, and the severe negative long-term consequences of childhood poverty are known, the analogy is not farfetched.
This week, the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) Task Force on Childhood Poverty declared that childhood poverty is "the most important problem facing children in the US today" and issued a Strategic Road Map for addressing it as a public health issue. The APA Task Force commits to raising the voice of pediatricians to build public support for policies that will both reduce childhood poverty and address the negative effects of poverty on children's physical and mental health and development. This builds on similar statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The Politics of Economic Opportunity: Will Growing Poverty Affect Election 2012Spotlight on Poverty and Opportunity, an initiative managed by CLASP, hosted the half-day forum, The Politics of Economic Opportunity: Will Growing Poverty Affect Election 2012? This event examined how the struggles facing growing numbers of low-income families will affect the 2012 elections. Watch the full event online. READ MORE »
- Aug 23, 2011 At the Forefront: Poverty Impact Projections
- Jul 28, 2011 Poverty and Opportunity: What Difference Can a Task Force Make?
- Jodie Levin-Epstein | Dec 10, 2010 Illinois Poverty Commission Recommendations
- Jodie Levin-Epstein | Sep 14, 2010 Poverty and the Census Data (MSNBC video)
- Jodie Levin-Epstein | Jun 10, 2010 Criticisms of an Improved Poverty Measure Go from Spin to Soap
- Lavanya Mohan | Apr 30, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - April 2013
- Lavanya Mohan | Mar 29, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - March 2013
- Jodie Levin-Epstein | Mar 18, 2013 Insights from the Ideas for Action Awards: Financial Asset Building
- Lavanya Mohan | Mar 04, 2013 CLASP Work Supports Newsletter - February 2013
- Spotlight on Poverty and the National League of Cities | Nov 15, 2012 Building Opportunity