Pathways to Reconnection
Youth growing up in high poverty or economically distressed communities are disconnecting at alarming rates from the education and labor market mainstream. This disconnection has persisted for more than a decade in part because systems, policies, funding streams, and even advocacy related to adolescents and young adults are disconnected and wholly inadequate. CLASP’s work in this area focuses on how federal policy can enhance youth serving systems and funding streams to create the comprehensive supports and delivery infrastructure needed to reconnect youth to positive pathways.
To learn more about the framing of the disconnected youth challenge, view Youth Employment: New Challenges in Knowledge-based Economies.
Dec 2, 2016 | PERMALINK »
Our Youth, Our Economy, Our Future: A Road Map for Investing in the Nation’s Talent Pipeline
This week, the Campaign for Youth released Our Youth, Our Economy, Our Future: A Road Map for Investing in the Nations’ Talent Pipeline, an investment strategy that offers a set of recommendations to help national, state and local public and private stakeholders identify and invest in solutions to help reconnect opportunity youth across the nation.
Building upon our 2008 recommendations which received the support of over 250 organizations, our 2016 strategy offers six overarching ways to bring these recommendations to reality:
- Make reconnecting our youth a national priority.
- Build on the strengths of young people and involve them in finding solutions for their generation.
- Invest in high-need communities.
- Create opportunities for work experiences that are relevant to careers and have real world application.
- Create pathways to financial independence and social mobility.
- Build state and local capacity to expand effective high-quality, evidence-based programming
Solutions are within reach but require strong public support, public and private investment, an active nonprofit sector, enabling government policies, and the collective knowledge of the youth development field.
- Zane Jennings and Kisha Bird | Jan 17, 2014 The High Cost of Youth Unemployment
- Rhonda Tsoi-A-Fatt Bryant | Apr 03, 2013 Taking Aim at Gun Violence: Rebuilding Community Education and Employment Pathways
- Campaign for Youth | Oct 18, 2012 FACT SHEET: HOUSE WIA REAUTHORIZATION BILL ELIMINATES YOUTH JOBS AND TRAINING
- Linda Harris and Kisha Bird | Jul 31, 2012 CLASP Comments to U.S. Department of Education Request for Information on Strategies for Improving Outcomes for Disconnected Youth
- Rhonda Tsoi-A-Fatt | Mar 29, 2010 Reauthorizing ESEA: Considerations for Dropout Prevention and Recovery
- Nia West Bey and Clarence Okoh | Dec 07, 2016 Realizing Youth Justice Presentation
- Dec 02, 2016 Our Youth, Our Economy, Our Future: A Road Map for Investing in the Nation’s Talent Pipeline
- Nov 30, 2016 Our Youth, Our Economy, Our Future: A Road Map for A Stronger Talent Pipeline
- Nov 10, 2016 Building Leaders: Reflections from a PowerCorps PHL Leader
- Nov 10, 2016 Employment Pathways for Boys and Young Men of Color