Paid Sick Days Toolkit for Business Owners
March 23, 2011
If you are a business owner interested in establishing a paid sick days policy or an advocate advising a business owner on how to implement a paid sick days policy, these resources are a good place to start.
The CLASP-CEPR Turnover Calculator
This week, CLASP and CEPR released a dynamic new tool to help businesses calculate the cost of employee turnover. Turnover can cost employers millions, but many don't have any idea how much their business really spends each year from losing employees.
USE turnover calculator online
Guidance on Employee Benefits
us chamber of commerce
Sample Time Off Policies
Sample time off policies provided by the US Chamber of Commerce. Please note that CLASP does not endorse the substance of these policies. This document includes:
- Sample holiday and vacation policies.
- Sample vacation accrual methods.
- Sample funeral leave policies.
- Sample sick leave and personal leave policies.
- Sample jury duty, military leave, maternity leave policies.
U.S. Small business association
Managing Employee Benefits
A publication from the U.S. Small Business Association describing the basics of employee benefits programs, including:
- What is an employee benefit plan?
- Why offer employee benefits?
- Health and retirement benefit plans
- Paid sick leave
Washington D.C. Paid Sick Day Laws
10 Steps to Implement D.C.'s Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act of 2008
CLASP has developed an implementation guide to help businesses understand their responsibilities under the D.C. Accrued Sick and Safe Leave Act of 2008.
District of Columbia Department of Employment Services
Official Notice: Accrued Safe and Sick Leave Act of 2008
The official poster from the D.C. government for employers about D.C.'s paid sick days law. It outlines the law as to:
- Employer compliance
- Employee eligibility
- Paid sick leave hours accrued
- How to file a complaint
The Catholic University of America
Summary of District of Columbia Laws
Compilation of materials regarding D.C.'s Accrued Safe and Sick Leave Act.
- Explanation of the scope of coverage.
- Link to a checklist of compliance and a model policy created by Jackson Lewis LLP.
- Letter from employers to the DC Council on draft regulations.
San Francisco Paid Sick Day Laws
City & County of San Francisco
Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
Here you can find material on the Paid Sick Leave Ordinance (PSLO) provided by The Labor Standards Enforcement of San Francisco. Documents on the website include:
- Frequently asked questions about the PSLO
- Fact sheets on the PSLO
- Sample designated person form in several languages
- Complaint form in several languages
- Business resources
Resources on Federal Policy
Internal revenue service
IRS Explanation of Health Care Tax Credits for Small Businesses
The IRS website describing the eligibility rules for small businesses to receive health care tax credits. It also includes information on:
- Amount of credit
- Three simple steps for employers to qualify
- Claiming the credit
- Questions and answers
- Youtube primer on health care credits
the san francisco chronicle
The Small Business Jobs Act: Make It Work For You
The Small Business Jobs Act of 2010 was designed to create jobs by encouraging lending to small businesses, but how can you use it to expand your business? This article includes information on:
- Lending programs
- Tax breaks
- Acquiring loans
- Managing business credit
- Business resources
Calculating Paid Sick Days
A website to help businesses understand the costs of paid sick days. Colorful graphics showing:
- Access to paid sick days
- Days of paid sick days per annum
- The cost of paid sick days versus the cost of sick employees
- Current campaigns by state
- Public opinion on paid sick days
Workplace Flexibility Toolkits for Hourly Employees and Managers
Worksheet tips and tools for implementing flexible workplace policies.
Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute
PHI Online Business Investment Calculator – Sample Report
PHI's Business Investment Calculator is designed to help employers in settings that provide services and support to elders and individuals with disabilities to measure the expense of staff turnover, in comparison to investments in retention interventions.
The Cost of Frontline Turnover in Long-Term Care
This report was published by Better Jobs Better Care, a national research and demonstration program funded by The Atlantic Philanthropies and The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.