Early Learning Challenge
The Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge (RTT-ELC) is a grant competition to increase the quality of early childhood programs and increase the number and percentage of low-income and disadvantaged children, birth to five, in high-quality programs. CLASP will continue to provide updated information on the Early Learning Challenge on this page. Additionally, CLASP staff are available to provide technical assistance that is responsive to the needs of individual states on any aspect of the Early Learning Challenge. Please contact Hannah Matthews for technical assistance.
Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge 2013 Competition: Continued Investment on the State and District Levels
The Department of Education has released the details of its third round of Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge (RTT-ELC) funding. The 2013 competitive grant program is focused on expanding access to high-quality early learning opportunities.
- $370 millions of the 2013 funds will support a competition for states to develop new approaches to increase high quality early learning opportunities and close the school readiness gap.
- $120 million will be used for a second round of district level competition.
- Additional funds will support supplemental awards for California, Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico, Oregon, and Wisconsin-states which to date have received only 50 percent of their initial requests.
The Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge was launched in 2011 to increase the quality of early childhood programs and increase the number and percentage of low-income and disadvantaged children, birth to five, in high-quality programs. The first round of RTT-ELC grants is providing states the ability to create successful state systems and provide access to more high-quality, accountable programs.
The Department of Education is currently accepting comments on the proposed details of the current round of funding. Interested parties can comment on the plan here by the May 16 deadline. Learn more about the Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge on CLASP's RTT-ELC page.
- Feb 23, 2012 Post-Budget Update: What to Expect for Early Childhood in 2012 Audio Conference
- Dec 20, 2011 Early Childhood Updates: Funding and Reauthorization Prospects Audio Conference
- C. Eugene Steuerle, Robert D. Reischauer, Margaret Simms, Olivia Golden, Kim Rueben, Lisa Dubay | Oct 25, 2011 Today's Children, Tomorrow's America: Six Experts Face the Facts
- Hannah Matthews | Oct 05, 2011 Meeting the Early Learning Challenge: Supporting English Language Learners
- Christine Johnson-Staub | Oct 03, 2011 Meeting the Early Learning Challenge: A Checklist for a High Quality QRIS