Head Start/Early Head Start
Head Start and Early Head Start provide comprehensive, high-quality early care and education and support services to vulnerable young children from birth to kindergarten, pregnant women, and their families. Support services include access to health screenings, referrals, and follow-up support; parenting resources; and social services. CLASP promotes federal and state policies to expand access to Head Start and Early Head Start. Our analysis of state and national program data helps advocates and policymakers to make the case for maintaining and improving quality. For state fact sheets based on Head Start Program Information Report (PIR) data, go to In the States.
The Most Important Problem Facing Children in the US Today
In the early 1950's, polio crippled tens of thousands of people in the United States each year, shut down public facilities, and struck fear among parents everywhere. But thanks to a massive public health effort that reached into every community, by 1979 polio had been eliminated from the U.S.
What if we tackled child poverty with the same determination and commitment that we put into eliminating polio? At a time when one in five children lives in poverty, income inequality is growing, and the severe negative long-term consequences of childhood poverty are known, the analogy is not farfetched.
This week, the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) Task Force on Childhood Poverty declared that childhood poverty is "the most important problem facing children in the US today" and issued a Strategic Road Map for addressing it as a public health issue. The APA Task Force commits to raising the voice of pediatricians to build public support for policies that will both reduce childhood poverty and address the negative effects of poverty on children's physical and mental health and development. This builds on similar statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Stephanie Schmit | Nov 20, 2012 Early Head Start Participants, Programs, Families and Staff in 2011
- Stephanie Schmit | Nov 20, 2012 Head Start Participants, Programs, Families and Staff in 2011
- Stephanie Schmit and Jamie Colvard | Sep 13, 2012 Expanding Access to Early Head Start: State Initiatives for Infants and Toddlers at Risk
- Hannah Matthews | Sep 11, 2012 At Risk: Early Care and Education Funding and Sequestration
- Stephanie Schmit and Danielle Ewen | Mar 28, 2012 Supporting Our Youngest Children: Early Head Start in 2010
- Child Care and Early Education | Mar 20, 2013 U.S. Head Start by the Numbers 2011
- Jan 23, 2013 After the Fiscal Cliff, What's Next for Early Childhood?
- CLASP and ZERO TO THREE | Dec 19, 2012 Expanding Access to EHS: Illinois Child Care Initiative
- CLASP and ZERO TO THREE | Dec 19, 2012 Expanding Access to EHS: Illinois Prevention Initiative
- CLASP and ZERO TO THREE | Dec 19, 2012 Expanding Access to EHS: Kansas Initiative