The highly effective federal/state child support program secures billions in owed child support to custodial parents every year. Child support reduces child poverty and is the backbone of many poor families' budgets. We advocate for adequate funding for the child support program and for policies that ensure collected resources go to custodial parents.
Jul 28, 2009 | PERMALINK »
Responsible Fatherhood Bill Would Expand EITC for Childless Adults and Non-custodial Parents
On June 19, 2009, Senator Bayh (D-IN) introduced S. 1309, the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2009. Among other provisions, the bill would expand the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for adults without dependent children, The maximum EITC for childless adults and noncustodial parents is just $438 for tax year 2008, less than one-sixth the amount that can be received by an adult with one child. Moreover, the EITC for these workers begins to phase out when a worker is earning less than two-thirds of the federal poverty level. Over several years, S. 1309 would raise the maximum benefit to $555 and would increase the phase-out threshold to the federal poverty line.
In addition, S. 1309 would double the EITC for noncustodial parents who paid the full amount of all current child support orders in the previous tax year, as verified by the state child support enforcement agency. This would both increase the incentive for noncustodial parents to pay the child support they owe, and reduce the implicit "tax" on their earnings created by the child support order.
- Helly Lee | Jan 21, 2015 Comments to the Office of Child Support Enforcement on Flexibility, Efficiency and Modernization in Child Support Enforcement Programs
- Vicki Turetsky | Aug 10, 2009 Debtors' Prison--Prisoners' Accumulation of Debt as a Barrier to Reentry
- Michelle Vinson and Vicki Turetsky | Jun 12, 2009 State Child Support Pass-Through Policies
- Feb 13, 2009 How Much Restored Child Support Funding Will States Receive Under the Recovery Act
- Vicki Turetsky | Jul 09, 2008 The Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act of 2007
- Jan 16, 2015 Comments to the Office of Child Support Enforcement on Flexibility, Efficiency and Modernization in Child Support Enforcement Programs
- Apr 06, 2012 The Return on Investment to Increasing Postsecondary Credential Attainment in the United States
- CLASP | Feb 17, 2011 Two Years Later: Impacts of Select ARRA Programs for Low-Income Workers & Families
- CLASP | Jan 25, 2010 Federal Policy Recommendations for 2010
- CLASP | Sep 01, 2009 Federal Policy Recommendations for 2009 and Beyond