All Featured Highlights: Child Care and Early Education
- Dec 14, 2015 | Helly Lee, Christina Walker, Olivia Golden Two-Generational Strategies to Improve Family and Child Outcomes
- Nov 25, 2015 | Elizabeth Lower-Basch and Stephanie Schmit TANF and the First Year of Life: Making a Difference at a Pivotal Moment
Apr 01, 2015
| HANNAH MATTHEWS (CLASP), KAREN SCHULMAN (NWLC), JULIE VOGTMAN (NWLC), CHRISTINE JOHNSON-STAUB (CLASP), AND HELEN BLANK (NWLC)
Implementing the Child Care and Development Block Grant Reauthorization: A Guide for States
This guide, written jointly by CLASP and NWLC, is designed to help policymakers and advocates gain a better understanding of what is entailed in fully implementing the law.
- Nov 25, 2015 Webinar: Children and Young Adults in Poverty: A Look by Race and Geography
- Jun 22, 2015 Child Care Assistance: A Vital Support for Working Families This fact sheet provides an overview of the research showing why child care assistance is so important to low-income, vulnerable families.
- Nov 25, 2015 | CLASP Child Care Reauthorization One Year Later, Further Investments Needed
- Jun 01, 2015 | Olivia Golden and Christine Johnson-Staub CLASP Head Start Reauthorization Comments in Response to Chairman Kline These comments draw on the work of experts at CLASP who have been deeply involved in Head Start policy for decades at many different levels, including as a key stakeholder organization in the most recent 2007 Congressional reauthorization.
- Oct 30, 2014 | Christina Walker and Stephanie Schmit 2013 Head Start and Early Head Start State Profiles Each year, CLASP releases state-by-state analyses of the Head Start program. For the first time, CLASP is also releasing state-by-state analyses of Early Head Start programs.
Mar 30, 2015
| Stephanie Schmit and Rhiannon Reeves
No Progress on Child Care Assistance Spending, Participation
This brief provides analysis of national trends for spending and participation in CCDBG- and TANF-funded child care in federal fiscal year 2013, based on the most recent state data available from HHS.
- Feb 11, 2015 ESEA Reauthorization: Challenges and Opportunities CLASP’s recommendations for reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) are based on our long-standing work and expertise in early childhood education and academic success for disadvantaged youth.
- Mar 13, 2015 | Hannah Matthews and Christine Johnson-Staub An Introduction to CCDBG Reauthorization CCDBG reauthorization establishes many new requirements for states, providing an opportunity to envision a new system which improves the quality of care, protects the health and safety of children, and allows families to access assistance more easily.
- Oct 27, 2014 | Hannah Matthews Child Care and Development Block Grant Participation at a 15-Year Low Participation in the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) has fallen for the third consecutive year to a 15-year low. Fewer children were served in 2013 than in 1998.
- Nov 19, 2014 | Liz Ben-Ishai and Hannah Matthews Federal Legislation to Improve Job Schedules and Child Care Access for Low-Wage Workers
Jun 02, 2014
| Gina Adams (UI) and Hannah Matthews (CLASP)
A New Vision for Child Care
This brief is based on Confronting the Child Care Eligibility Maze: Simplifying Child Care and Aligning with Other Work Supports, an in-depth guide to the policies and practices that allow states to simplify and align child care assistance, improve service delivery for clients, and reduce administrative burden for agencies.
- Mar 02, 2015 | HELEN BLANK (NWLC), KAREN SCHULMAN (NWLC), JULIE VOGTMAN (NWLC), HANNAH MATTHEWS (CLASP), CHRISTINE JOHNSON-STAUB (CLASP) Comments on the FY 2016-2018 Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) State/Territory Plan Preprint CLASP and NWLC general comments and recommendations for the FY 2016-2018 Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) preprint.
- Mar 27, 2014 | Liz Ben-Ishai, Hannah Matthews and Jodie Levin-Epstein Scrambling for Stability: The Challenges of Job Schedule Volatility and Child Care
- Sep 16, 2014 | CLASP Poverty Fell in 2013; Children and Young Adults Still Face the Greatest Risks CLASP examines the trends revealed in the Census Bureau's 2013 poverty data, including a decline in poverty among young children.
- Aug 26, 2014 | Hannah Matthews and Rhiannon Reeves Child Care and Development Block Grant Participation in 2012 Based on preliminary state-reported data from the federal Office of Child Care, this fact sheet provides a snapshot of CCDBG program participation in 2012, noting the great variability in child care assistance programs among states.
Jul 24, 2014
| Hannah Matthews and Christina Walker
Child Care Assistance: Helping Parents Work and Children Succeed
Quality child care enables parents to work or go to school while also providing young children with the early childhood education experiences needed for healthy development. The Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) is the primary federal program that provides funding for child care assistance for low-income working parents. Child care assistance is a vital public investment that increases the sustainability of employment for low-income parents and provides stability for parents struggling to gain economic security. It also allows many parents to access higher quality care than they could otherwise afford.
Apr 14, 2014
| Hannah Matthews and Stephanie Schmit
What State Leaders Should Know About Early Head Start
What State Leaders Should Know About Early Head Start provides a guide for state leaders less familiar with the Early Head Start program. It provides explanation on eleven Key areas of the Early Head Start program and suggests ways that state policymakers can align key areas of child care and early education with EHS.